Today i would like to share Malacca's favorite dishes - Asam Pedas Melaka or Malacca Hot & Sour Fish.
Serves: 2 person
300 g mackerel fish /tenggiri (fillet) / any fish that you prefer.
6 dried chilies (soak in water to soften)
1 lemon grass-crushed
½ inch fresh turmeric (optional)
1 tsp shrimp paste
2 stalks daun kesum (vietnamese coriander) and bunga kantan (torch ginger)
2 tomatoes (quartered)
4 ladies fingers
4 tbsp tamarind juice
Salt to taste
1. Grind shallots and garlic together. Keep aside.
2. Grind dried chilies and shrimp paste together and keep that aside.
3. Discard the top and bottom part of ladies finger and keep it whole.
4. In a wok, heat enough oil to saute the shallots and garlic paste. Once aromatic, add in the dried chili paste. Saute until the chili is cooked and oil floats slightly at the edges.
5. Add in tamarind juice, tomatoes, ladies finger, torch ginger, vietnamese coriander and salt. Leave to simmer until vegetables are tender.
6. Add in fish finally. Leave for another 5 minutes and then dish out.
7. You can add turmeric powder or fresh turmeric if preferred.
That's it. It's done to be serve with rice. Please try at home..